ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Zamboanga school shooting raises concerns over gun security, online influence


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.
Zamboanga school shooting raises concerns over gun security, online influence

A 14-year-old student opened fire inside the junior high school building of Ateneo de Zamboanga University in Zamboanga City on August 18, killing a 15-year-old student and later himself.

Jessica Soho flew to Zamboanga City the day after the incident happened.

According to “Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho,” another Grade 10 student was injured after being grazed by a bullet. The incident prompted the suspension of classes and an investigation into how the student was able to bring firearms into the campus.

The school’s president said that the university was reviewing what additional safeguards may be needed.

How the shooting happened

The student reportedly arrived at the school in a vehicle, entering through an emergency exit and using the ramp for persons with disabilities before reaching the fourth and fifth floors.

Police Major Shellamie Chang, spokesperson for the Police Regional Office 9, said two short firearms were recovered from the fourth and fifth floors.

The firearms were found to have belonged to the student's father, a Bureau of Customs official. The father has been temporarily relieved from his post and has declined an interview.

The incident raised questions about the school's security procedures.

Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jonvic Remulla said the school's security protocols were generally in line with standards, noting that it had 25 security guards, with 15 assigned that morning.

However, because the student arrived in a vehicle, he did not go through the pedestrian entrance where bags were inspected.

Remulla also said authorities were looking into the student's actions before the shooting, including a livestream that allegedly showed the attack.

The university president clarified that the ramp in question serves persons with disabilities and people who have difficulty using stairs, while also functioning as an emergency evacuation route. It added that authorities were examining how the student accessed the building.

Motive, online influence under investigation

According to the police, the student's own family was also struggling to understand what led to the shooting.

“Kahit ‘yung parents po medyo nagguguluhan po talaga sila kung saan nanggaling ‘yung, anong nagtulak sa kanya na magawa ‘yung act na ‘yun po Ma'am,” she said.

["Even the parents are quite confused about where it came from, about what drove him to commit that act.”]

Remulla rejected some of the speculation surrounding the incident, saying it was not established as a case involving bullying, retaliation, or teacher maltreatment.

Police are examining the student's cellphone, other gadgets and social media accounts to determine whether he had been influenced by individuals or groups promoting violence.

Authorities have also looked into the possibility of online groups such as the alleged 764 network, which cybersecurity experts say may target vulnerable young people and gradually manipulate them online.

Cybercrime Investigation and Coordinating Center (CICC) Undersecretary Renato Paraiso said online platforms may play a role but should not be blamed as the sole cause.

“We cannot zero in on one particular aspect of what makes a very violent person. Siguro may participation ng online gaming platforms, pero hindi natin sila puwede isisi,” Paraiso said.

["We cannot zero in on one particular aspect of what makes a very violent person. Maybe online gaming platforms have a part in it, but we cannot blame them."]

Remulla said the investigation had not established that the student acted as part of a group and that authorities had found no conspiracy behind the attack.

Calls for responsible gun ownership

The firearms used in the Zamboanga shooting were government-issued and were reportedly owned by the student's father.

Remulla said the incident showed the need to strengthen accountability for gun owners, particularly when it comes to the safekeeping of firearms.

“The responsibility of the gun owner is like a kin only to someone who lent a car and the car got into an accident and charged with reckless imprudence. That is the only culpability that gun owners have now and that must change,” he said.

A gun expert interviewed by “KMJS” also stressed that gun ownership involves responsibility and accountability, not just technical skill.

The PNP reminded gun owners to keep firearms in places where children cannot access them, noting that gun owners may face liability if their firearms are used improperly.

Questions over social media safety

The shooting also brought renewed attention to efforts to protect children online.

During a Senate hearing, Senator Risa Hontiveros questioned why it took about 14 minutes for the livestream of the shooting to be removed after it was detected and reported.

Paraiso said the agency was able to view the material for about five minutes before reporting it to the platforms. He explained that the CICC does not have jurisdiction to directly remove content from social media platforms.

The incident has also drawn attention to Senate Bill No. 2066, or the Social Media Safety for Children Act, which seeks to prohibit children below 16 from registering for, using or maintaining social media accounts.

Save the Children said it does not support a total ban on children's use of social media or the internet, noting that digital technology can also be used for learning, socializing, and participation.

Psychologist Ronald Fernillos, meanwhile, urged parents to pay attention to changes in their children's behavior and online interactions, while keeping communication open.

Security and mental health measures

The Department of Education said schools need to look beyond physical security measures such as fences, CCTV cameras, and metal detectors.

The agency has also been conducting active security drills to teach students what to do during a shooting or similar emergency.

The Zamboanga City police said it had been coordinating with schools and conducting drills, including teaching students to duck, cover and hide.

Police data showed at least 50 school-related incidents involving minors or students from June 16 to Aug. 19 this year. These included 26 bomb threats, 12 shooting threats, four stabbing incidents, four cases of illegal possession of firearms, two death threats and two shooting incidents.

The PNP said it would continue reviewing security protocols with schools and local governments across Region 9.

Meanwhile, Ateneo de Zamboanga University said its psychological first aid program remained available to students and other members of its community. As of Friday, 519 people had received help through the sessions.

The university said it was also reviewing additional safeguards following the incident.

For the police, preventing similar incidents will require cooperation beyond law enforcement.

The investigation into the Zamboanga school shooting remains ongoing.

For any related incidents, you may contact the Cybercrime Investigation and Coordinating Center (CICC) to effectively trace threats and protect children from violent content on social media, messaging, and streaming platforms:

Cybercrime Investigation and Coordinating Center Hotline: 1326

This hotline is used to report online scams, text fraud, and other cybercrimes. —JCB, GMA News