Landslide-hit roads to Boracay now cleared, flood-free
Roads leading to and from Boracay Island have been cleared of landslide debris, the provincial governor said Tuesday.
Aklan Governor Florencio Miraflores told Unang Balita in an interview that floods that hit Boracay Island at the height of tropical cyclone Urduja have also receded.
"Cleared na natin lahat. Lahat ng mga lugar. Iyong biyahe papuntang Boracay from the mainland ay maayor na rin ngayon," Miraflores said.
He said that the stranded foreign and local tourists during the onslaught of Urduja have already left the island resort.
Miraflores said towns in the western side of the province, including Ibajay, Nabas, Boracay and other parts of Malay, and Buruanga were hit by floods and landslides.
He said a total of seven landslides were recorded along the major highway in Malay and Navas, but these have been cleared.
He said no one was displaced or hurt in the province during the Urduja's onslaught.
The governor said weather conditions in Aklan, particularly in Boracay, have already improved.
Urduja is expected to exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility today.
So far, authorities have counted 31 deaths from Urduja's onslaught, mostly in Biliran province due to landslides. At least 40 more people were missing. —ALG, GMA News