The local government of Glan in Sarangani province has placed the municipality under state of calamity due to the effects of last week's magnitude 6.8 earthquake in Mindanao.
As of Tuesday, over 20,000 families have been affected by the earthquake and about 3,000 houses were destroyed, according to Super Radyo General Santos' James Plecis' report on Super Radyo dzBB.
Five people were killed in the municipality.
The declaration will allow the release of calamity funds allocated to local governments and control the pricing of basic commodities in the affected area.
The local government continues to provide the affected individuals with financial aid, food packs, and hygiene kits, the report said.
Mayor Victor James Yap appealed to the national government for help in addressing the needs of the earthquake victims.
The magnitude 6.8 earthquake hit Davao Occidental on November 17, with its epicenter located at 05.48°N, 125.16°E - 034 km N 88° W of Sarangani Island (Davao Occidental) at a depth of 72 km.
In total, the quake has left nine people dead, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. on Sunday tasked Philippine government officials to ensure that relief efforts for the victims of the said earthquake will not be hampered.
Meanwhile, landslides were recorded in several mountainous areas of Sarangani, according to Emil Sumangil's "24 Oras" report.
“Confirmed na landslide ang nangyari. Dulot din ng lindol, ground shaking, nabitak ang lupa natin, especially if it’s sloping. ‘Yun ang magpo-produce ng landslide,” said Dr. Teresito Bacolcol, PHIVOLCS Director.
A 32-year-old woman and her 6-year-old kid died in the area. At least 10 houses were destroyed while 20 families lost their homes, according to the Office of Civil Defense Region 12.
“Nung pagkuha po sa kanila is magkayap po sila, sa loon ng bahay, natabunan po talaga ng landslide, magkayakap yung mag ina nung makuha ng mga rescuer,” said Jorymae Balmidiano, OCD-Region 12.
PHIVOLCS has deployed a quick response team in the area while the Mines and Geosciences Bureau conducted an assessment in collaboration with the OCD in the region.
Several areas appear like a ghost town as residents are not yet allowed to return until their safety is assured, according to OCD-Soccsksargen.—Sherylin Untalan/KBK/ LDF, GMA Integrated News