5 killed in NegOcc in reported encounters between gov't and alleged NPA
At least five people died in reported encounters between the military and alleged members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in Cauayan, Negros Occidental.
Authorities said the encounter happened at least four times on May 16, 2026 in mountainous areas, first in Barangay Abaca and then in Barangay Poblacion.
The first encounter in Barangay Abaca reportedly took place at around 6 a.m. and was followed an hour later at around 7 a.m., and again at 2 p.m.
The last encounter, this time, in Barangay Poblacion, reportedly happened at 5 p.m.
“We decided an operation na i-pressure sila to surrender. Pero lumaban pa rin sila. Kada pasok nila sa area, nagsusumbong sa’tin ‘yung mga tao dun sa barangay. When the troops arrived in the area, they were immediately fired upon by the NPAs,” said BGen. Jason Jumawan, Commander of the 302nd Infantry Brigade.
(We decided an operation that would pressure them to surrender. But they decided to fight. Every time they entered the area, the people in the barangay reported them to us.)
The five people killed were the following:
- Rolando Dantes, Jr.
- Jobert Casipong
- Gilbert Tingson
- Alex Chavez Languita
- Francis Vince Dingding
These men were allegedly behind the deaths of 23 civilians in 2025 and three others in 2026.
“Since last year, marami na silang napatay. Twenty-six na ‘yung kanilang napatay, both in Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental, including ‘yung 74-year-old na lola,” Jumawan said.
(Since last year, they killed many. A total of 26 people... including a 74-year old grandmother.)
The military said that because of the encounters, at least 116 families or 400 individuals had to flee their homes. They were allowed to return the following day. —Aileen Pedreso, GMA Regional TV News