ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

More than 20 still believed trapped in Angeles City collapsed building


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.

More than 20 individuals are believed to be trapped after a nine-story building collapsed in Angeles City, Pampanga on Sunday morning, Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Vince Dizon said.

“As of now, ang priority, search and rescue muna. Kasi may mga mahigit 20 workers na naipit dahil sa disgrasya na nangyari. ‘Yung cause of disgrasya, siguro huwag muna natin ‘yun, i-imbestigahan pa ‘yan,” he told reporters, according to GMA News reporter Jonathan Andal.

(As of now, the priority is search and rescue first. There are more than 20 workers trapped due to the accident. As for the cause of the accident, maybe let's not focus on that yet; that will still be investigated.)

Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) Regional Information Office chief F/ Supt. Ma. Leah Sajili said authorities are looking for at least 23 individuals.

“Total of 23 estimated trapped victims as of today. So we have a total number of 24 who have escaped, so meaning hindi po sila nakasama sa bilang na 23 na hinahanap natin ngayon. Mayroon po tayong 10 patients transported sa San Rafael Lazatin Memorial Hospital, and may isa po tayo doon sa patient na hindi nakukuha ang pangalan as of now,” she said as reported by Super Radyo dzBB.

(Total of 23 estimated trapped victims as of today. So we have a total number of 24 who have escaped, meaning they are not included in the count of the 23 people we are looking for right now. We have 10 patients transported to the San Rafael Lazatin Memorial Hospital, and we have one patient there whose name has not been obtained as of now.)

Dizon said that there are operations being done in coordination with other government agencies that have responded to the scene.

Meanwhile, there are communications with a Malaysian citizen who was trapped in the structure next to the collapsed building.

“Mayroong ding foreign national, sa kabilang building naman na tinamaan din. Nakakausap naman siya via cellphone,” said Dizon.

(There is also a foreigner in the adjacent building that was also hit. We are able to talk to via cellphone.)

The DPWH added that authorities are hearing voices within the debris.

“May naririnig kanina…Mayroong naririnig yung BFP natin,” said Dizon.

(Something were heard earlier… The BFP (Bureau of Fire Protection) was hearing something.)

In another report by Super Radyo dzBB, Angeles City DRRMO chief public information officer Jay Pelayo IV said that a rescuer was able to communicate with two of the trapped individuals.

“Mayroon pong nabanggit is Mayor Jon na dalawang live bodies na nakakausap. So patuloy po ang efforts on bring those safely, na ma-rescue po,” he said.

(Mayor Jon said that there were communications with two individuals. So the efforts to bring them up safely are ongoing and we are hoping to rescue them.)

The DPWH deployed two dump trucks, a backhoe, a boom truck, and a Tadano crane to the site to assist in the rescue operations.

The department will also establish a technical team to help investigate the incident.

Up to 26 people have so far been rescued from a nine-story structure.

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority said it will provide necessary equipment and personnel to help with search and rescue (SAR) operations.

Two people feared trapped after a building collapse in the Philippines were alive and communicating with rescuers. —RF, GMA News