ADVERTISEMENT
LIVE
Filtered By: Topstories
News

LIVE UPDATES: Zamboanga school shooting incident


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.
Contributed photo via GMA Regional TV One Mindanao
Auto-refresh

Ateneo de Zamboanga shooter's classmate thought he was joking

Before the fatal school shooting incident at Ateneo de Zamboanga University on Tuesday, a classmate of the Grade 8 student shooter said that he had repeatedly blurted out plans to carry out a shooting at the school.


 

DILG investigates shooter's gaming, chat history in Ateneo de Zamboanga shooting

Investigators are looking into the gaming and messaging history of the young shooter in the Ateneo De Zamboanga University shooting incident on Tuesday to find out why it happened, Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said.

Senators seek probe into fatal Zamboanga school shooting

Several senators on Tuesday condemned the shooting incident in Ateneo de Zamboanga University which left two students dead, saying a thorough investigation must be conducted into the matter.

In a statement, Senate President Sherwin Gatchalian said clear answers must be given by concerned authorities on how the shooter was able to obtain two firearms and how these firearms were brought into the school premises.

"I demand a thorough investigation and call on the DepEd (Department of Education) and the local government of Zamboanga to provide immediate psychosocial support to distressed learners and school personnel," he said

Gatchalian also vowed that the Senate will continue working with the education sector and communities to prevent violence in our schools.

Senator Bam Aquino, chairperson of the Senate Committee on Basic Education, described the shooting incident as heart-wrenching, considering that schools have now become a place of fear and violence.

Ateneo de Zamboanga doing active shooter drills before tragedy

The Ateneo de Zamboanga University was in the process of conducting active shooter drills before the suspect opened fire on students and teachers, according to Zamboanga Vice Mayor Isabelle "Beng" Climaco.

Marcos orders probe into Zamboanga school shooting

President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Tuesday said he has directed law enforcement agencies to conduct a thorough investigation into the shooting incident in Ateneo de Zamboanga University, which resulted in the deaths of two students.

In a statement, the President expressed grief to the families and the entire Ateneo de Zamboanga University community over the tragedy, which he stressed “should never have happened.”

“Our schools are where we entrust our children to learn, to grow and to dream about the lives ahead of them. They must also be among the safest places in our country,” Marcos said.

“I have directed our law enforcement agencies to conduct a thorough investigation into this incident and to determine what more must be done to prevent another family, another school and another community from suffering the same grief,” he added.

BOC suspends port exec amid child's alleged involvement in Zamboanga school shooting

An official of the port police of Zamboanga City, who is the father of the student allegedly involved in a shooting incident in a private school, has been placed under preventive suspension.

According to Manny Vargas’ report on Super Radyo dzBB, this was confirmed by Bureau of Customs Deputy Chief of Staff Atty. Chris Bendijo.

Bendijo said their employee will undergo investigation to determine his possible accountability in the incident.

Authorities are also looking into whether his guns were used by his child.

Zamboanga school shooting: What we know so far

While the investigation continues, here is what we know so far about the school shooting incident that occurred at a private school in Zamboanga City on Tuesday morning.

After Zamboanga school shooting, DepEd eyes psychological aid

As it expressed concern over the recent school shooting incident in Zamboanga City, the Department of Education (DepEd) on Tuesday said it is now coordinating with its mental health partners to provide psychological first aid and psychosocial support to individuals affected by the incident.

Ateneo de Zamboanga declares day of mourning after school shooting

Ateneo de Zamboanga University President Fr. Anthony “Ernald” Andal, SJ on Tuesday declared the observance of a day of mourning and prayer on August 19, Wednesday, following a shooting incident where two students died, including the shooter.

“We are so saddened by this incident that tomorrow, today, we are cancelling all classes at all levels at Ateneo de Zamboanga University,” Andal said in a briefing.

“And tomorrow, declaring that there would be a day of mourning and prayer for all of us. We are truly, truly saddened by what had happened,” he added.

Public urged to avoid unverified info after Zamboanga City school shooting

The City Government of Zamboanga has urged the public to refrain from spreading unverified information, rumors, photographs, and videos following a shooting incident at Ateneo de Zamboanga Junior High School that left two people dead on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

In a statement, the city government said such information could cause unnecessary alarm and potentially interfere with the ongoing police response and investigation.