ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Collapsed flood control project in Occidental Mindoro submerges communities, rice fields


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.

The community of Barangay Tagumpay in Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro, was submerged in floodwaters last week after a flood control project collapsed amid continuous heavy rains.

In a “24 Oras Weekend” report by JP Soriano on Sunday, barangay officials identified Sunwest Corporation as the project contractor. The company is linked to former Congressman Zaldy Co.

“Umabot naman po tayo ng 2026, taong 2026, ‘yan naman po ang naging problema,” Barangay Tagumpay Chairman Victor Bautista Fabros said.

(It reached 2026, and that was when the problem occurred.)

“‘Yan, nakita ho ninyo ‘yung mga depekto ng ginawa nila dahil napag-iwanan na ho nila—hindi nakumpleto ng contractor ‘yung project at lalong lumaki ho ‘yung pinsala,” he added.

(There, you can see the defects in their work because they abandoned it—the contractor failed to complete the project, which made the damage even worse.)

According to Soriano’s report, the flood control project split down the middle during heavy rains on August 18 and 19. The collapsed section measures around 300 to 500 meters, allowing floodwaters to pour into the adjacent community.

The collapse also washed the project’s sand foundation into the river and surrounding rice fields.

Fabros said the steel rebars used in the project were allegedly substandard.

“Nung una kasi, sila, may mga substandard na bakal din diyan. So, nung ni-repair nila, mas maganda na ‘yung ginawa. Ang kaso, naiwanan naman po nila. Hindi natuloy-tuloy ni Sunwest, ‘yun nagsimula,” Fabros said.

(At first, they were using substandard steel there, too. When they repaired it, the work was better. The problem was that they abandoned it again. Sunwest failed to finish the project, and that’s where the problem started.)

“May nakita ho kasi kami diyan na mga maliliit na bakal, kaya sabi namin, ‘Ah, substandard pala.’ Kung hindi nagiba, ay hindi namin nakita,” he added.

(We noticed small steel rebars there, which led us to believe they were substandard. If the structure hadn’t collapsed, we wouldn’t have seen them.)

Residents expressed concern over what could happen if heavy rains hit the area again.

“Wala na kaming matatakbuhan kundi talagang ang barangay proper na namin. Baha na po talaga ‘yan,” Fabros said.

(We have nowhere else to go but to the barangay proper. It really gets flooded here.)

GMA News has reached out to the Department of Public Works and Highways and Sunwest Corporation for comment but has yet to receive a response.

Baguio City remains under full alert

In Baguio City, heavy rains and intermittent showers continued on Sunday, with some areas experiencing near-zero visibility.

In a “24 Oras Weekend” report by EJ Gomez, residents living near the site of an August 9 landslide expressed concern over the possibility of further soil collapse due to continuous rainfall.

“Hindi po kami masyadong nakakatulog, paidlip-idlip lang po. Lalo pag ‘yung may malakas na ulan po, nagigising kami agad, lalo [kapag] ‘yung hangin [ay] malakas,” said Ruel Huliganga, a resident living near the landslide site.

(We can't sleep properly; we only manage to take brief naps. Whenever there is heavy rain, we wake up immediately, especially when the wind is strong.)

Due to the heavy rains, the Baguio City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office temporarily suspended clearing operations at the landslide site.

Frederick Torres, who lives in front of the site, secured some of his household appliances in preparation for another potential landslide.

“Naka-safety naman… ‘yung mga appliances. Tamaan man ‘to, at least ‘yung appliances nandoon sa loob,” Torres said.

(The appliances are secured. Even if the house gets hit, at least the appliances are safe inside.)

Some of the 27 families affected by landslides in the city have taken temporary shelter at the Guisad Surong Barangay Hall. Local authorities said they continue to monitor landslide-prone areas.

“Nagmo-monitor din po kami ng gabi. Ang chine-check namin doon ‘yung lalong-lalo na dun sa mga bundok na gumuguho at tsaka ‘yung mga bahay na baka matamaan ng gumuguhong lupa,” Barangay Guisad Surong Captain Jun Cañero said.

(We also monitor at night. We specifically check the slopes that are collapsing and the houses that could be hit by falling soil.)

Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong said the city remains under full alert status.

“Full alert status pa rin kami ngayon. Naka-preposition na ‘yung mga logistics, pagkain, mga equipment, dine-decentralize na rin namin,” Magalong said.

(We are still on full alert status. Logistics, food and equipment have been prepositioned, and we are also decentralizing them.)

Authorities continue to repair and restore toppled utility poles and monitor the city's drainage system to help prevent flooding.

Kennon Road was closed to motorists again on Sunday due to severe rockfalls and landslides, according to the Baguio City local government.

Meanwhile, in Buguias, Benguet, authorities have placed safety markers in landslide-prone areas as a precautionary measure.— Lyjah Tiffany Bonzo/MCG, GMA News