Fashion designer Michael Cinco lashed out at Miss Universe Canada Nova Stevens and her team for allegedly blaming him over her loss at the recent beauty pageant.
In a lengthy Facebook post on Saturday, Cinco spoke against the “uncalled for blame on my team week after Miss Universe.”
He addressed his statement to “the whole Miss Canada team,” including “Migüel Martinez, Denis Martin Davila, Natalie Glebova Dean Kelly and Miss Canada Organization and your ungrateful Miss Canada Nova Stevens.”
The designer included screen shots of posts made by an account named MGmode Communications, which said his gowns were sent late, and photos of Stevens wearing them.
Cinco raised several points: first, he said Stevens’ gowns arrived on time and fit her “perfectly.”
“The gowns arrived on time. Or how could you have sent me photos and videos of her wearing them, showing how the gowns perfectly fitted her, days before each event. You even posted a video of Nova in her last fitting and she was happy,” he wrote.
He also said the team forced him to make Nova’s 26-inch waist line “cinched to 23, which I obviously didn’t heed even if you said that in pageants, comfort doesn’t matter.”
Second, the Dubai-based designer said the insinuation that his team was trying to sabotage Stevens’ win was “just absurd.”
He said he “even went out of my way” to hire a team of “world-class photographer to shoot her in my couture gowns at a world-class location in Dubai just to give her extra publicity mileage and create for her a balance of glam and luxury as opposed to her humble homecoming in Africa. And everything was paid for by me.”
Third, he mentioned that other Miss Universe candidates and beauty queens who wore his creations gave their thanks, but not Stevens and the Canadian team.
“If it doesn’t add up to you, then I’ll add Miss Romania, Miss Mexico and Miss Czech Republic who all wore couture gowns from my latest collection in preliminaries,” said Cinco.
“Miss Romania Bianca Trilsin even sent me a video message and was very grateful and is even planning to come to Dubai next week to meet me and thank me personally,” he said.
“Miss Czech Republic was so humble and honored to wear my gown. Former Miss Universe 2017 Demi-Leigh Tebow was so gracious to send me video greeting and thanked me for the gown she wore,” he added.
Cinco said the new Miss Universe, Andrea Meza of Mexico “even took time to send me a thank you message right after her coronation” even if she was not able “to wear my gown at either nights.”
“Let me just add that they are endlessly thankful,” he said.
“But [for] Nova and her team never received a thank you message and seems upset from me for her being eliminated. Am I the judge?”
The designer asked the team to stop blaming him for Stevens’ non-inclusion to the Miss Universe’s top 21.
“Stop blaming me for Nova’s not making it to the Top 21 in Miss Universe. In fact, she did not wear my gown to the prelims as you were earlier posting that she will wear another gown. And now you’re telling me that her prelims gown killed her to advance to the finals. Am I to be blamed for that?” he said.
“I dressed up most A-list Hollywood celebrities, royalties and wealthiest clients all over the world and they only have one rule in fashion ... if the dress don’t fit, don’t wear it!!! Simple as that. Get it???”
Cinco then said the “truth to be told” was the Canadian team had been “using” him for the past three consecutive years to dress up their candidates without paying him.
“A simple thank you note from Nova, you and your team would have sufficed. But you don’t have the grace and decency to do that. You all are ungrateful, vile and professional users,” said Cinco.
He also urged them not to ask him again nor any Filipino designer to dress up their candidates.
“Stop scamming Filipino designers ... how dare you ... shame on you and your whole Canadian team,” he said, adding the hashtags #sorelosers #moveon #lifeisnotallaboutMissUniverse.
Stevens’ team tapped Cinco as her official gown designer for the 69th Miss Universe pageant.
Weeks before the coronation night, the Canadian candidate revealed that she had been getting racist comments online, many coming from Filipinos.
On May 19, she shared photos of herself in a Cinco gown that she “didn’t get the chance to showcase.” – RC, GMA News