Two persons were killed and six others, including two policemen, were injured in two explosions in Quiapo, Manila on Saturday.
The first explosion took place along Norzagaray Street, near the Manila Golden Mosque, shortly before 6 p.m.
National Capital Region Police Office chief Director Oscar Albayalde said they have yet to identify the two fatalities as of this posting.
But a modified police casualty list identified one of the two fatalities as Muhamad Bainga.
Three of the four injured victims were identified as Jaber Gulam, from Lanao del Sur and Datu Sohair Adapun, from Marawi City, who were rushed to Mary Chiles General Hospital and Hajhi Ali, who was brought to the UST Hospital.
A second blast, meanwhile, took place seconds after Albayalde gave a briefing about the first blast at the site. It took place at past 8:30 p.m.
Radio dzBB's Olan Bola said the second blast happened near the site of the first explosion, where Albayalde held the media briefing.
Two policemen identified as Chief Inspector Elisa Reyes Arturo, chief chemist of the Manila Police District's (MPD) Crime Laboratory and Police Officer 2 Aldrin Resos, member of the MPD's Explosive and Ordnance Division (EOD), were hurt in the second explosion.
Arturo was rushed to the Manila Medical Center.
Chief Inspector Marvin Carbonel of the EOD said their personnel were pulling out shrapnel from the site of the first blast when the second explosion struck.
"Pupulutin na 'yung mga shrapnel, may sumabog na naman," said Carbonel.
A video posted by Bola showed policemen pointing their flashlights to a building in the area. The policemen were looking for the person who might have thrown the explosive from the building.
A report from dzBB's James Agustin said the EOD had brought an ICOR Caliber MK3 robot to check if there are other explosives in the area.
Authorities have yet to determine what type of explosives caused the blasts.
Policemen locked down the area as they searched for more possible bombs.
During the press briefing, Albayalde said a suspect has been arrested by the Manila police.
He said the first explosion was caused by an explosive contained in a package intended for a "specific person."
Albayalde said the two fatalities include a motorcycle rider who was delivering the package and the man who received it.
He said that initially, police suspected that the bomb attack was related to a "clan war."
Manila Police District commander Chief Supt. Joel Coronel also made it clear that the blasts would not in any manner "be considered an act of terror".
Coronel added that his command would be setting up check-points, conducting "saturation drives" in the Sta. Cruz-Quiapo areas, and following-up on leads.
Last week, 14 people were hurt in another explosion in Quiapo district.
The explosion happened as the Philippines was hosting the 30th Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit. —Anna Felicia Bajo with Joseph Tristan Roxas/ALG, GMA News