A number of people who showed up for the opening of the Manila Bay "white sand beach" on Saturday failed to observe physical distancing and were not wearing face shields, according to a Super Radyo dzBB report.
The radio report said while personnel were on site to remind the observance of physical distancing, people were still seen huddled and close together while falling in line outside to get a peek into the newly constructed beach.
Social distancing was also not observed at the foot bridge just outside the beach.
The report added that while the people were wearing face masks, most came without face shields on. Asked why people without face shields were allowed in, the report quoted organizers of the event as saying it was not required in open spaces.
Members of the media, bloggers, and government agencies were invited to take a preview of the newly-improved Manila Bay that had been spruced up with crushed dolomite rocks from Cebu.
The event was held on the occasion of the International Coastal Cleanup Day on Saturday.
In late July, the government said it was considering requiring citizens to wear face shields while in a public place as an added protection against COVID-19.
On August 21, Malacanang said that face shields were also required inside enclosed spaces and commercial establishments, including shopping malls.
In late August, the Palace said the government was still studying if the wearing of face shields should be mandatory in all places.
But some local governments in Metro Manila like in Pateros and Mandaluyong have started requiring residents to wear face shields in public places. -MDM, GMA News