A magnitude 6.5 earthquake rocked parts of southern Philippines on Thursday morning, two days after a similar temblor left eight people dead and scores of other people injured.
The quake's epicenter was at Tulunan, Cotabato, the same area where a strong tremor killed at least eight people on Tuesday.
Interviewed on Dobol B sa News TV, PHIVOLCS science research specialist Erlinto Olavere said the earthquake happened at 9:11 a.m. and was tectonic in origin.
The earthquake was located at 28 kilometers north east of Tulunan with a depth of six kilometers.
According to PHIVOLCS, Intensity VII was felt in Tulunan, Cotabato; Kidapawan City; Sta. Cruz, Matanao, Bansalan and Magsaysay, Davao del Sur, while Intensity VI on Tampakan, South Cotabato.
Intensity V was felt in General Santos City; Tupi, South Cotabato; Isulan, Sultan Kudarat, and Intensity IV in Lebak, Sultan Kudarat, PHIVOLCS.
Aftershocks are expected following the earthquake, it added.
In an interview on Dobol B sa News TV, Tulunan Vice Mayor Maureen Villamor said Thursday's quake — which she said felt stronger and was longer than Tuesday's temblor — sent evacuees into a panic.
Olavere said there are several fault systems around Tulunan such as the M'lang Fault, Makilala-Malungon Fault, North Columbio Fault and South Columbio Fault.
"Hindi natin sure kung ito ay same fault or yung katabing fault na ang gumagalaw. May mga identified fault tayo sa area. Maaaring naaapektuhan na yung kabilang fault kaya nagkakaroon ng interrelated [earthquake]. Kung baga yung isa nag-aadjust. At the same time yung kabilang fault nag-aadjust din," he explained.
"Hindi namin kayang sabihin na right away na walang nang kasunod na mas malaki pa based doon sa nakikita natin," he added.
Kidapawan City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office chief Pslamer Bernalte said an establishment, Eva’s Hotel, had collapsed.
"Sobrang lakas ng lindol. Dahil sa lakas, itong Eva’s Hotel, ay talagang gumuho,” he said in a separate interview on Dobol B sa News TV.
Bernalte said there might be people inside the hotel as he observed some ambulances rushing to the area and people receiving treatment.
"Tingin ko meron [tao sa loob ng hotel] kasi kanina pa nagsistakbuihan itong mga ambulansya at kumukuha pasyente doon. Malamang may tao yan, siyempre hotel. Ang problema natin hindi ma-access dahil hindi natin pinapasok dahil gumuho talaga siya," he said.
In Davao City, a portion of a condominium building in Ecoland also collapsed, according to One Mindanao.
Tenants immediately left the building, but some patients had been observed receiving assistance from rescuers deployed to the location, according to a report of RGMA Super Radyo Davao’s Donar Cano.
In North Cotabato, there are reports of people being trapped in building, Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) chief Mercy Foronda said in an interview on Dobol B sa News TV.
Duterte house sustains cracks
President and former Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte felt the earthquake in Davao City as he was visiting the tomb of his parents ahead of the traditional All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day holiday this weekend.
The President's residence as well as that of Senator Christopher "Bong" Go were not spared from the temblor, with cracks appearing in their respective house and apartment unit.
The death toll from the October 29 earthquake was pegged at 8 as of Thursday, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC)
The 6.6 magnitude quake hit early on Tuesday, damaging buildings, toppling power lines and triggering landslides.
Smaller tremors rattled nervous residents throughout the day and those who were afraid to return to their homes set up tents to shelter near school yards.
The 6.6 quake was the second powerful quake to strike Mindanao in two weeks.