MMDA: Faster easing of floods among signs of 'effective' gov't actions
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Saturday cited the faster subsistence of flooding in Metro Manila as among the indicators showing that the government's flood mitigation interventions are working.
At a news forum, MMDA General Manager Nicolas Torre III said floodwaters along G. Araneta Avenue in Quezon City, for example, only took about five hours to subside during the recent monsoon rains.
"There were testimonials about the faster flood subsistence… just like in G. Araneta Avenue… the rain stopped at 2 p.m. At about 7 p.m. the floodwater along that road was already gone… People living in the area say that it usually took 18 to 24 hours before the flooding subsides," the MMDA general manager said.
President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. earlier touted the flood control interventions of the government, which he said have yielded "good results" so far amid the heavy flooding in Metro Manila over the past days.
"There is something we have done right for that matter," Torre said.
Apart from faster floodwater subsidence, the MMDA general manager cited extent of flooding and the actual depth of floodwaters as among the metrics in measuring the effectiveness of flood mitigation interventions of the government.
Torre said areas in Marikina and Camanava (Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas, and Valenzuela), which are traditionally flood prone, have seen improved situations during the recent heavy rains.
"There is an improvement… but it does not mean that what we are doing is perfect. We recognized that there are still a lot to do," the MMDA general manager said.
The President earlier said dredging operations are ongoing in some areas, and the government is also looking at the continued upgrading of the seawalls, as well as other floodwater management efforts.
Marcos also noted that the government has identified 30 sites in Metro Manila that could be used as cisterns. — VDV, GMA News