The increase in the number of COVID-19 cases in the Philippines, now more than 30,000, is not due to the Filipinos' hardheadedness, Senator Risa Hontiveros said Monday, as she pushed for intensified health measures to address the pandemic.
"Realtalk: hindi ito dahil pasaway ang mga Pinoy. Given the proper safeguards and correct measures, Filipinos will cooperate for our health and safety," Hontiveros said in a statement.
"Blaming Filipinos for the surge in cases distracts from the need to better our approach towards the pandemic. COVID-19 is first and foremost a health problem."
Hontiveros reiterated that mass testing, protection of health workers, and improving the health system are effective steps to contain the virus.
As of Sunday, the total number of COVID-19 infections in the country was at 30,052 after 653 fresh and late cases were recorded.
The Palace has previously said that the government decided to extend the general community quarantine in Metro Manila until June 30 in the hopes that the projected 40,000 cases by the end of the month would not happen. --Dona Magsino/KBK, GMA News