ICC registry formalizes appointment of Duterte associate counsel
The International Criminal Court (ICC) Registry has formalized the appointment of Kate Gibson as associate counsel for former President Rodrigo Duterte in his crimes against humanity case.
In a 5-page document, the Registry said Duterte's newly appointed counsel, Peter Haynes, made a request to the Registry for the appointment of Gibson on May 18.
She accepted the mandate on the same date, according to the Registry.
"Ms. Gibson has previously executed the solemn undertakings as required under Article 5 of the Code, which remain valid throughout the proceedings before the Court," it said.
"Ms. Gibson confirmed to the Registry that she does not have impediments to the representation of Mr. Duterte in the proceedings before the Court or a conflict of interest in accordance with article 12 and 16 of the Code," it added.
Earlier this month, the ICC Trial Chamber III granted the request of then-defense associate counsel Dov Jacobs to withdraw from the post.
Days later, the chamber granted the request of Nicholas Kaufman to withdraw as Duterte's lead defense counsel.
Duterte is facing charges for crimes against humanity for murder and attempted murder over alleged killings during his time as Davao mayor and president. — VDV, GMA News