ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

88 areas under state of calamity due to Habagat, Luis, Maymay


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.

A total of 88 cities and municipalities have declared a state of calamity due to the effects of the Southwest Monsoon or Habagat and tropical cyclones Luis and Maymay, the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) said Friday.

In an update, the OCD said these following areas in Luzon are under state of calamity:

• Dagupan City

Pangasinan – 4

• Santa Barbara

• Mangaldan

• Bugalion

• Mangatarem

Bataan – 12 (province-wide)

Bulacan – 24 (province-wide)

Pampanga – 21 (province-wide)

Zambales – 1

• Masinloc

Rizal - 1

• Rodriguez (Montalban)

Cavite – 23 (province-wide)

Batangas – 1

• Nasugbu

Several areas remained flooded in Pampanga, Bataan, and Bulacan still dealing with the effects of the prolonged rains, according to reports on GMA News’ Unang Balita on Friday.


Pampanga

In San Simon, Pampanga, residents of several subdivisions have resorted to using boats to get in and out of their communities as floodwaters remained high, based on the report of Jun Veneracion.

Some residents were saying they are now considering selling their properties because of recurring floods.

In Barangay Santa Monica, floodwaters also entered the barangay hall. A 1-year-old child drowned in floodwaters in the area on August 16.

In Mexico, Pampanga, a river overflowed its bridge in Barangay San Lorenzo, while large amounts of garbage accumulated during heavy rains and had to be cleared using a backhoe.

Pampanga Governor Lilia Pineda said more than half of the province's barangays remained flooded and nearly a million people have been affected.

Three people have died in the province.

Agricultural damage in the province has reached around ₱1.4 billion. The provincial government also plans to extend assistance to poor farmers whose crops were damaged by the flooding.

Bataan

Bataan has also declared a state of calamity due to the flooding. In Hermosa, residents were seen cleaning thick mud left by floodwaters.

The provincial government said around 8,000 residents evacuated in 70 barangays in eight cities and towns.

Twenty people were injured.

Authorities are also studying a proposed 54-kilometer coastal defense system that could include dikes, water pumping stations, floodgates and water catchment or impounding facilities.

Bulacan

Bulacan likewise declared a state of calamity. In Santa Maria, the Makaiban Bridge remained closed due to thick mud and partial damage caused by the flooding.

Strong winds

Meanwhile, strong winds damaged 10 houses in Barangay San Rafael in Rodriguez, Rizal, affecting more than 30 families. No injuries were reported.

Residents were offered a place at an evacuation center but chose to remain in the area to repair their homes.

Strong winds flattened a banana plantation and a mango tree along M.H. Del Pilar Street. A tricycle was also swept away by the winds.



In Bayawan City, Negros Oriental, strong winds blew large amounts of sand in a coastal area, reducing visibility to nearly zero along portions of Saraña Boulevard.

PAGASA said the phenomenon was unlikely to be a dust storm, noting that such storms generally occur in desert areas. It said a whirlwind carrying sand may have passed through the area.

Leptospirosis

In Iloilo, 10 people have died from leptospirosis from January to August this year, according to the Iloilo Provincial Health Office. The figure is double the five deaths recorded during the same period in 2025.

Iloilo has recorded 84 leptospirosis cases so far this year.

PAGASA warned communities downstream of several Luzon dams about possible increases in water levels amid continued rains.

Three gates at Binga Dam, two gates at Ambuklao Dam, and one gate at Ipo Reservoir were open as of the latest report.

Water levels rose in Angat, Ambuklao, San Roque, Pantabangan and Magat reservoirs. —VAL, GMA News