Death toll from Habagat now 27 — PNP
The death toll from the impact of the Southwest Monsoon or Habagat has climbed to 27, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Monday.
At a press briefing, PNP spokesperson Police Colonel Allen Rae Co said that of the 27 fatalities, 26 were civilians and one was a PNP personnel.
“Ang total po to the Habagat this coverage as of today, 27 na po — 26 civilians and one PNP personnel. We still have two missing and 18 injured, as of August 17, 6 a.m.,” Co said.
The PNP has yet to provide a detailed breakdown of the fatalities by location or cause of death.
Police units continue to assist in disaster response and maintain peace and order in areas affected by heavy rains.
More than 5 million people have been affected by the combined effects of Tropical Cyclones Luis and Maymay and Habagat, the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) said Monday.
As of 6 a.m., a total of 5,084,667 people or 1,450,747 families had been affected by the weather disturbances in the following regions:
- Ilocos Region
- Cagayan Valley
- Central Luzon
- Bicol
- Western Visayas
- Zamboanga Peninsula
- Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)
- Metro Manila
- MIMAROPA
A total of 24,893 people or 7,182 families were staying in 523 evacuation centers, according to the OCD.
Classes in some areas of the country have been suspended on Monday due to the bad weather. — RSJ, GMA News