ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

More ICC arrest warrants coming out soon, NBI says


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.
National Bureau of Investigation Director Melvin Matibag

More personalities may soon face arrest warrants from the International Criminal Court (ICC), according to National Bureau of Investigation Director Melvin Matibag.

"We have information that there are several na ma-issuehan pa ng warrants of arrest," Matibag said during a Saturday News Forum.

Matibag adds that they are "ready" to serve possible warrants once they come out.

"It doesn't matter who he is or ano man krimen niya. Basta may warrant, meron talaga kaming protocol na. So, kung may lumabas na additional warrant of arrest, we are always ready to enforce and to serve the warrant," said Matibag.

(It doesn't matter who he is or what his crime is. As long as there is a warrant, we really have a protocol. So, if an additional warrant of arrest comes out, we are always ready to enforce and to serve the warrant.)

The ICC has issued a warrant of arrest for Senator Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa after he was alleged to be a co-conspirator in the crimes against humanity charges in connection with the killings in the war on drugs of Rodrigo Duterte when he was mayor of Davao City and when he was president of the Philippines.

He has been included in the list of defendants on the ICC website after the tribunal unsealed the arrest warrant against him for crimes against humanity.

The NBI previously tried to serve the arrest warrant on dela Rosa at the Senate. However, dela Rosa was given protective custody by the Senate. He has since left the Senate premises.

The Supreme Court has also denied dela Rosa's request for a temporary restraining order (TRO) and/or status quo ante order (SQAO) in connection with his possible arrest based on the warrant issued by the ICC.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the NBI have been directed to arrest Dela Rosa, according to Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida.

Dela Rosa's lawyers however questioned the directive by the DOJ to arrest him, saying the arrest warrant by the ICC should go through the process of a local court. —VAL/KG, GMA News